MFOFC Housing Webinar Series
Can an individual with disabilities lead an independent life of their choosing in a home of their choosing? Yes!
For parents raising individuals with disabilities, the process of finding appropriate housing for adult children can be challenging, especially in states like Massachusetts, where the options are expensive. Yet, some parents have developed creative solutions that enable their children to lead independent lives in housing arrangements that honor the individual’s vision of a lifestyle that best fits them. This webinar series will share examples of innovative housing options being developed by parents and experts in the field.
Join us for live conversations with parents and practitioners as they discuss:
- When to start planning for independent living
- The importance of developing a vision for your child’s life as an adult
- Identifying and leveraging resources (community and government) to make independent living a reality
- What to expect when transitioning to a new housing arrangement
- Case studies that illustrate the person-centered approach
Creating an Intentional Community: What we can learn from Deohaeko, Canada
More information coming soon!
May 13, 2020:
Person-centered planning: The challenges, rewards, and creating a plan that evolves over time. Guest speaker Susan Yuan, PhD, Professor Emerita and Consultant, Center on Disability and Community Inclusion, The University of Vermont